Can an amount that was agreed upon with debt collection agency be increased before the payment date? 4 Answers as of June 26, 2013

They send a summons to my parent’s house where I don't live to appear in court on November 16th. We agreed on $900.00 to be paid now and $100.00 in thirty days. When I called for some type of confirmation, they said now I had to pay $1175.00 today with no guarantee that it would settle it. This debt is three years old.

I would appear in court so that you have a judge over see the payment plan so they do not manipulate it.
Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
You should appear in court on November 16th, and bring these issues up with the judge. The core issues are improper service of summons and bad faith dealing. If the judge believes you were not served properly, you can try to get the current case dismissed. Keep in mind, though, that the plaintiff will try to re-file the lawsuit, but this may get them to settle with you.
Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
If you did not get it in writing, forget it.
Harris, Yug & Ohlinger
Harris, Yug & Ohlinger | Roberta Ohlinger-Johnson
You can assert the defense of accord and satisfaction. Assuming the action is brought by a third party collection agency and no in house collections, there is probably a strong argument for an FDCPA violation with statutory damages of $1000.00