Can an 11 year old be charged with theft of a cell phone? 2 Answers as of June 20, 2011

My cell phone was stolen, and I just found out who stole it. It was an 11 year old boy. He made unauthorized purchases through my cell phone buying apps, music, games, etc. totaling to about $100.00. When I called the Yakima police they came to my house, and basically told me that an 11 year old child cant be charged with any kind of crime. This is ridiculous, how can that police man say that? So no report was taken, and I am just in shock, this kid literally found my phone, ordered music song downloads, games for phone etc.. It's just wrong, and this kid should be held accountable for what he did. I don't know what I should do, as if this is the law in Washington, it's basically telling kids its okay to steal and get away with it. How can I handle this?

A child of 11 can be charged with a crime. Children 10 and up have a presumption of capacity to commit a crime. Moreover, what the kid did was probably a felony. I would speak with the county prosecutor. Also, the kid's parents may be civilly liable. I would get the prosecutor to order the cop to write a report.
Law Office of Andrew Subin
Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
An 11 year old will probably not be charged with a crime.