Can a 10 year old be charged with breaking and entering? 6 Answers as of July 18, 2014

My 10 year old daughter and her 9 year old sister broke a window at a school and then went inside the building. What can I expect?

Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
They can still be charged in juvenile proceedings. As to what they can expect to receive as punishment, it all depends on the circumstances of their actions and any past issues with the law.
They can be charged in a juvenile proceeding.
VALENTE SCHARG & ASSOCIATES | DEAN VALENTE
Juvenile Court ... but since you don't identify specific county info must be very general so... unless there is already a history with CPS, likely oversight. Get appt atty to help guide you.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
They could very well be. The police should contact you wanting to speak with the girls. If that happens it is suggested you contact an attorney. What they say to police would be used against them. They should not talk to anyone by any means either.
They can be charged, but they will be charged as juveniles. It will be under the Family Division of the Circuit Court and is procedurally different than adult criminal cases. If charged, retain an attorney that makes criminal defense a substantial part of their practice, especially juvenile criminal defense.