By signing that, could it jeopardize or affect me getting my mortgage here? 3 Answers as of July 26, 2017

My wife and I have decided to get a divorce but have not done so yet. She has been living in another state for a few months. I am in the process of buying a small home here based only on my income and credit. She is in the process on buying one in another state on her own. Since we are not yet separated or divorced, she needs me to sign her mortgage since we are still married only for the deed not responsible for mortgage.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
Actually, if you are living in separate states with the intention of obtaining a divorce you are separated. You should not sign any mortgage your wife wants to obtain to finance the purchase of her home and, by the same token, she should not sign any mortgage you might obtain to finance the purchase of your own home. The banks may not agree to financing the transactions because you are still married and that is a matter of business practice. If that is the case, it would probably be best to wait until after you and wife are divorced for each of you to attempt to purchase your own homes.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 7/26/2017
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
You have real problems. Some mortgage companies will require the Wife to sign all paperwork on your Florida home as you are not divorced; she will have a legal interest in your home until you are divorced.Whether or not you will have to sign her mortgage papers depends upon the law of the state she is in, same thing as to whether or not you have a legal interest in her home depends on the laws of her state.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/26/2017
R. Jason de Groot, P.A
R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
Signing the mortgage means that you will be responsible for the mortgage, but in the divorce she should hold you harmless and indemnify you regarding the mortgage.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/25/2017
Click to View More Answers: