Will a business affect my unemployment benefits? 4 Answers as of January 26, 2012

I receive unemployment benefits and a friend wants me to partner in a business with him .Will this result in denial of my weekly benefit for my U.I. check if we're just getting it going and have done no work and just establishing or name to do work later down the road?

Law Offices of Lorenzo L. Angelino | Lorenzo L. Angelino
I would contact the NY unemployment office, they are extremely helpful in these matters and will definitely give you the most correct answer, you can email them, and they will email or call you within a week.
Burton Employment Law | Jocelyn Burton
A claimant must remain unemployed or underemployed to continue to be eligible for benefits. The claimant can receive her full weekly benefit amount during any week she is unemployed and performs no work. A claimant cannot receive benefits during any week that she works and has earnings in excess of 1.33 times her weekly benefit amount. If a claimant is underemployed, earning such money but less than 1.33 her weekly benefit amount, her benefits will be reduced depending upon the amount of earnings under 1.33 times the benefit amount.
Law Office of Jack Longert, LLC | Jack Longert
If you are self employed, it does not affect your receipt of unemployment benefits from another employer. Conversely, the self-employment is not considered "income" for a future unemployment claim you may file as an employee.
Park Law Offices LLC | Kevin Parks
If you get a paycheck as an employee, yes. However, you should consider applying for the Self Employment Assistance (SEA) program, which continues your eligibility for UI benefits while eliminating the need to continue looking for work each week by replacing it with required weekly updates about your new business venture.