Before I decide to take title to the house, can I try to sell it 'as is'? 6 Answers as of July 30, 2013

I am 22. Mom died in April. House was beneficiary deeded to a family friend who does not want the house and wants to deed it over to me. The house needs a lot of work and last payment was made in February.

In order to sell you have to have house deeded over to you.
Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC
Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC | Mark Cherry
Yes. It would be better if the "Estate" sold the property. The family friend should sign a "Renunciation" as well as a "Quitclaim Deed" to assure clean title. An estate attorney should be retained to prepare the necessary paperwork.
If you get title you can try to sell it as is.
Before you can sell the house, you will need to own it. Before signing new deeds, you must be made aware that signing new deeds will have potential tax consequences. You and your family friend should consult with a probate attorney to determine the best way to accomplish your goals.
Janke Legal Consulting | Bruce C. Janke
You cannot sell the house, as-is or otherwise, unless you own it. The friend could sell the house and give the sale proceeds to you. But is the loan "under water" (loan amount exceeds market value) If so, the friend can't sell it without getting the lender to accept a sale price less than the loan amount in satisfaction of the loan ("short sale"). And anyway, there would be no point in selling because you wouldn't get any money from the sale. No mortgage payment has been made for five months.
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    Of course not. How can you sell something that you do not own? You have to have obtain ownership first, then do what you want with it.