Because I got a DUI, will an interlock device be installed on my car if I was in California when I was pulled over? 12 Answers as of February 24, 2012

Because I got a DUI, will an interlock device be installed on my car if I was in California when I was pulled over?

LynchLaw
LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
Ignition interlock devices are not universally ordered in all DUI cases in CA. The question regarding if one will be ordered in your case depends on the facts of the case. If your BAC was under .20 a interlock device may not actually be ordered.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
Normally California courts do not require IID's on a first offense. Of course it is possible for a judge to order it in any case, but they normally don't.
Not necessarily. For a second DUI one would almost certainly be required. Under some circumstances the Court can and will require an IgnitionInterlockDevice(IID)for a first DUI (excessively high alcohol level, and accident, other indicia of a likelihood that you will reoffend or of chronic alcohol abuse, etc.) Generally, one is not required for a first time DUI.
Law Office of Andrew Roberts
Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
No. An IID can only be installed if ordered by the court or DMV. Only 4 counties require it for a DUI.
Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf
Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf | Lawrence Wolf
There are times you may not need to. Give us a call.
    If it is a first offense, then IID is required in Los Angeles, Alameda, Sacramento, and Tulare counties. If it is a second or subsequent offense, IID is required in all counties.
    You didn't mention what number DUI this is for you, but the reality is that those are only considered for third DUIs and higher.
    Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law
    Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law | Alanna D. Coopersmith
    In four California counties, Alameda, Sacramento, Tulare, and Los Angeles, if you are convicted of a first DUI, DMV will require an ignition interlock device as a condition to get your California driver's license reinstated.
    Starting in July.
    Will it be required? That depends upon the negotiated plea and sentencing that your lawyer will have to do. It is not part of a normally 1st DUI sentence. If you have priors or this was an aggravated or with injury case, that is different.
    That depends on a few factors. Contact me through my website 1DUILawyer.com if you want to discuss in more detail. Some of the factors to be considered are, was it a first, second or third offense? Was there an accident involved? What jurisdiction is the Court hearing in? etc. For example, if there is a conviction, even for a first offense DUI in Los Angeles County, you would have to get an interlock device. Then again, if your case is in Los Angeles, it may be possible to get your DUI charges dismissed. Contact me if you would like to discuss in more detail.