At what age does the divorce decree no longer apply to an adult child? 5 Answers as of February 02, 2012

In my divorce, my ex no longer has to pay child support when she turned 19(April 24,2010). She is full time college student and works parttime. I'm her mother and I pay for her college, car, rent, food and everything by myself now. Her father was on his family health insurance along with his other child. He is suppose to claim her on his taxes every third year. This would be his year. Since he pays nothing, can I claim her or at what age will the decree no longer apply?

Steven Harrell, Attorney at Law | Waymon Steven Harrell
If your ex husband is no longer required to pay you child support, and if he provides no support to your adult child, he cannot claim her as an exemption of his federal income tax return.
H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
If the decree said that child support terminated on April 24, 2010, then unless he is supporting her by other means, he would not be able to take a tax deduction, in all likelihood. To be on the safe side, you should run this by a tax attorney.
That depends on the exact language of the decree. Show it to your CPA.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
I think you have the right to go ahead and claim her since he is not paying any of her bills or providing support