As the victim of a felony malicious wounding how can I convince the commonwealth to drop the charges? 9 Answers as of February 12, 2013

I am the victim in a felony malicious wounding case. I know the incident or the crime that took place was a complete accident. I don't want the case to go on and I certainly don't want the defendant to go to jail over a misunderstanding. What can I do?

Once a police report has been made, the allegations and charges are sent to the District Attorney to determine whether to file charges with the court. The decision to file charges, reduce charges, prosecute a case or dismiss a case is solely at the discretion of the District Attorney or Prosecuting Attorney. If the "victim" wishes to have the charges dropped or dismissed, he/she should talk with the D.A. However, the final decision will be up to the D.A.
Discuss the matter with the prosecuting attorney. You have no say in whether the case is dropped or not. It is entirely up to the prosecutor to proceed with prosecution or drop the charges.
First of all, Michigan is a state and not a commonwealth. Secondly, you can express your desire to the prosecutor to drop the charges, but technically it is their decision and their's alone on whether to proceed with a prosecution. They often do not and don't like to proceed without the victim's approval or cooperation, but they can and sometimes do.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
Do not lie or change the facts to help your boyfriend or husband if that is what you are thinking. You must have signed a deposition accusing him of a crime and now want to help him out, or it might be another circumstance, I do not know. All I am saying is that you should retain a good criminal lawyer and tell him the truth so that you will not be charged with anything and justice will be served if you did lie , falsify, or if it was a "misunderstanding".
Tell the police and prosecutor what happened and what you feel about the matter.
    Contact the prosecution and see what they will do.
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    One must ask how a serious crime like that is an accident. Generally, you cannot drop the charge. That would be done by the DA or prosecutor.
    Tell the truth to the authorities, the determination is up to them
    Rizio & Nelson
    Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
    Is this a CA question? ("Commonwealth" and "malicious wounding" aren't commonly used terms in CA). You should speak with the defendant's attorney. He or she will probably want to take a statement from you. Good luck.