As a patient, what are my rights against the doctor? 7 Answers as of September 09, 2015

On the phone, the doctor had told me to find another doctor for no reason, and was very rude. What can I do about this, as I have many health Issues, and had no reasonable reason. To be let go as a patient.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
No doctor has to treat you. You have no rights to make a physician treat you.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 9/9/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
The laws about this vary from state to state. Generally speaking, a doc can refused to accept you as a patient for almost any reason except the usual discrimination prohibitions. He also may not abandon you in the midst of treating you. But if the doc has reasons not to want you as a patient, whether the reasons are good or bad, would you want to be treated by that doctor? It's probably best to find another physician.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 9/8/2015
Adler Law Group, LLC
Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
The doctor has a right to discharge a patient. If you feel it put your health at risk you can file a complaint with the state Medical Board.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 9/8/2015
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
Drs. don't always have a good bedside manner, especially when they fire you. You're only avenue of relief that I know of is to complain to the Medical Board. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 9/8/2015
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
The Dr. has the right to determine who he/she wants to treat. They were wrong in being rude and should have told you a reason for ending the relationship, but that does not give you a legal remedy. You can post a comment on the web about what occurred or maybe complain to the local medical association. But unless their refusal to continue to treat you was because of illegal discrimination, you have no ability to force continued treatment [you would not feel comfortable in that situation any way] or get any economic relief.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/8/2015
Click to View More Answers: