As the next of kin, can I ask the hospital to release health information to me only regarding my adult single child? 8 Answers as of April 11, 2013

Can they list someone as a significant other without proof if I contest it?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Not unless you get a court order appointing you to act on your son's behalf.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/11/2013
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
That depends on the hospital's policies and whether or not your child has designated a significant other or entered into a civil union.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/10/2013
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
HIPPA laws require that only an authorized person will have access to the individual's medical records. This person authorized does not have to be a relative.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/10/2013
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
You can ask but I doubt they will without having a signed release by the patient who I understand is your adult son.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Replied: 4/10/2013
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
Once your child becomes an adult, you cannot get his or her medical records without a signed authorization from your adult child.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/10/2013
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    As next of kin they should. But if they wont, go to the courthouse and ask the clerk to qualify you as personal representative of the estate. You will get court papers that authorize you to do anything you need to do in that regard or if there is already such a person appointed let them get what you need for you.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 4/10/2013
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    The key word here is "adult". The hospital cannont release health information regarding an adult, even to a relative, unless they have authorization from their patient to do so. If your son authorized someone to receive information or make decisions, that is his decision to make. You have no standing to challenge the adequacy of that authorization, unless you have a Power of Attorney or a court order.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/10/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    See an attorney with details. Hospitals are very reluctant to give and info to anyone without granted authority from the patient.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/10/2013
Click to View More Answers: