As a minor can I get taxes back? 3 Answers as of August 02, 2011

I've noticed on my check that I have been paying a federal income tax as well as a so sec tax, which I don't think I should be paying seeing as I'm a 16 year old minor. I was wondering if there was a way I could get that money back or if the company is able to withhold that money.

An employer is obligated to withhold taxes and Social Security. If you make enough income, you are obligated to pay taxes. If you do not, then you file a tax return and request a refund the next year. Social Security is not refunded. And none of this depends on your age.
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
You can get a refund for the income taxes you paid by filing an income tax return. However, social security taxes withheld cannot be refunded, but they are credited to your social security account for eventual retirement purposes many years from now.
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Age has nothing to do with itfile a return you may be due a refund.