As a minor can I get taxes back? 3 Answers as of August 02, 2011

I've noticed on my check that I have been paying a federal income tax as well as a so sec tax, which I don't think I should be paying seeing as I'm a 16 year old minor. I was wondering if there was a way I could get that money back or if the company is able to withhold that money.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Schreiber Law Firm
The Schreiber Law Firm | Jeffrey D. Schreiber
An employer is obligated to withhold taxes and Social Security. If you make enough income, you are obligated to pay taxes. If you do not, then you file a tax return and request a refund the next year. Social Security is not refunded. And none of this depends on your age.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/2/2011
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
You can get a refund for the income taxes you paid by filing an income tax return. However, social security taxes withheld cannot be refunded, but they are credited to your social security account for eventual retirement purposes many years from now.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 8/2/2011
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Age has nothing to do with itfile a return you may be due a refund.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/1/2011
Click to View More Answers: