As a grandparent, can I have the right to see my grandson? 13 Answers as of January 13, 2013

Can you help me get my rights to see my grandson no one will help me. My grandson mom or dad don’t want him my sister left her husband and left my grandson with my brother in law and my grandson has been getting in trouble in school and been running away because he is so unhappy. He needs to be with me. Please can you help me. My brother in law is an alcoholic and my grandson don’t need to be in that kind of living. Please help me.

Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
As a grandparent, you do have a right to visitation. If you can afford an attorney, I would recommend hiring one. If you cannot, some forms can be found online at the Family Court website, or you can find some forms at the Family Court at their Self-Help Center.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
In Michigan, there are grandparent rights. Try to find an attorney that will offer a reduced fee.
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson | John F. Nicholson
As a grandparent you have a right to petition the court for visitation and the court has the discretion to grant or deny visitation after a full hearing on the matter.
LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
You need to file a court action and will probably need an attorney to help you.
Call the State Bar of Idaho and ask for an attorney that deals with family law and guardianships. You may also call the Idaho Volunteer Lawyers Program to see if you qualify for pro bono services. Or you could report the dangerous conditions your grandson is living in to Child Protective Services. However, if they take custody, they will look for the person that is best able to care for your grandson. That may or may not be you. There is no guarantee that if you file for guardianship that you will get it. That is why you need to discuss the details with an attorney to see what your best options are.
    Zales Law Office
    Zales Law Office | Nicholas C Zales
    In Wisconsin grandparents do have visitation rights under certain circumstances. Those rights can be asserted in a petition to the court.
    Grandparents in Washington have no rights unless you prove both parents unfit.