Arrested but released without being taken to jail, how long should I expect to wait before being charged? 8 Answers as of March 24, 2013

I was arrested eight months ago for possession of marijuana but was released and not taken in to the station. The officers told me to expect to hear about a court date in 2 to 3 months but I have heard nothing. I have read in Arizona they can wait 7 years before charging you, and I am worrying constantly about the charges. Is there anything I can do to understand the state of my case? I can't afford a lawyer. How will I be contacted when a decision is made? Additionally, I am graduating soon and was planning to move out of state, would it cause any problems if I did this before being charged?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
I would need further information to answer such as were you arrested in Arizona or NY. There is a certain time limit for the prosecutor to file charges but since the time periods are different for different charges cannot know what the time period is until know what the charges are. You could contact the court or have a friend do it if you cannot afford to hire an attorney to do it, to see if charges are filed.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/24/2013
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
Change your state to get answers from lawyers in your state instead of Texas lawyers.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 3/21/2013
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
This is a free country, and you have every right to leave Arizona, if you wish. You have not been charged, so you have freedom of movement. Apparently, Arizona has a hell of a long period for statute of limitations. Here in Illinois, 18 months is max for a misdemeanor, or 3 years for a felony. Without contacting the police, I cannot think of another way to find out what is the status of your matter. You may want to "let sleeping dogs lie", by staying away from inquiring. You may be notified by mail or phone call to turn yourself in, or a warrant may be issued by a judge. Predicting what is happening or what might happen is impossible for me, or anyone to predict. You might contact a lawyer to look into the matter for you, he may be able to find out more, but remember those "sleeping dogs".
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 3/21/2013
Law Offices of James Elliot McIntosh
Law Offices of James Elliot McIntosh | James Elliot McIntosh
Go to the Court. Ask the Clerk to check whether there is a case filed against you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/21/2013
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
It's anybody's guess, but you should probably search court records at regularly, in order to make sure that they have not messed up your address and issued a warrant. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 3/21/2013
    Attorney at Law | Ernest Krause
    They can't wait seven years to charge you. Call the Public Defender's Office for quick free advice. Right now you don't have a case. The DA has done nothing. Don't contact police, DA or the court. You could get quick free advice from a criminal defense attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    Michael Breczinski
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    They may have sent the dope to a lab to get proof that it is really dope. Or they may have decided not to proceed. Check with the court to see if you have any warrants. If not get on with your life.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
    Checking with the court to see if you missed a court date would be wise. Generally possesion charges carry a 3 year statute of limitations for a misdemeanor.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland
    Replied: 3/21/2013
Click to View More Answers: