Are we going to have a problem with my citizenship and filing a petition for my wife if she overstayed? 5 Answers as of March 30, 2015

I am filing for naturalization and need advice because I am married and my wife only had a tourist visa (she overstayed). We decided to marry after we had our child.

As long as she entered the US lawfully and overstayed, there should not be any issues.
It should not be a problem if the application packet is well done and presented. See a lawyer about that since it is an important application.
Your wife's overstay will not affect your citizenship petition. However, when you file your petition for her to become a permanent resident, she most likely will need a waiver for her overstay.
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
Not a problem. You can naturalize and then file for your wife's green card even if you overstayed. I would consult with an experienced immigration attorney prior to filing for your wife's case. She should be well prepared to answer questions regarding her entry into the U.S. and the reason for her overstay.
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
She should not have issues, if overstay was the only problem.