Are there statues of limitations for unpaid parking tickets? 3 Answers as of May 18, 2011

I was wondering whether here is a statute of limitations on unpaid parking tickets in New York and if there is, what is said limitations. A colleague of mine says there is but my grandfather says here is no such thing for parking tickets. So who is the correct party?

I believe your grandfather is correct- no statute of limitations for parking tickets.
Unfortunately no. However, some Vehicle and Traffic laws are considered Violations and then the statute of limitations is generally one year. However, parking tickets likely do not fall into that category and hang on for life if they remain unpaid. Of course, there is always a Constitutional issue, but I doubt any Judge will entertain such a thing.
The stature says that the prosecutor has to be ready for trial within a certain period of time. Here the prosecutor is the police officer and it began as he issued the ticket so the statute does not apply since there is no "trial" on a parking ticket, only a traffic offense. The period there is one year. You can ask for a hearing, but you will lose almost certainly. If you do not pay it will double and you will not be able to register the car in the future.