Are there any laws or protections against residential property for endangerment/undermining of on site manager? 6 Answers as of February 27, 2014

I performed work on 3 units at the complex where I am a tenant. The property, I learned had been turned over to a management company and that they were not responsible. How do I go about collecting the money I'm owed?

Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
If you made an agreement directly with the owner you can write a letter to both the owner and property manager letting them know that if you are not paid within 30 days you will start deducting the amount owed from your rent payments. If the amount you are owed is less than $10,000.00 you can take the owner to small claims court if you are not paid.
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Not a landlord tenant Q. Why can't you sue whoever you believe was supposed to pay you.
Sue the owner or the people who hired you.
You can sue for the reasonable value of the work against the owner of the property. They are bound by the acts of the management company as an agent acting under apparent authority.
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
You could file a mechanic's lien to secure payment. You also could make a demand upon, and sue, the person or company which authorized you to perform the work.
    Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
    Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
    This sounds more like a simple breach of contract issue. If the owner asks you to do some work and agrees to pay you a certain amount, and if you agree to do said work for what the owner was willing to pay, then you have a contract. Once you do the work, you are entitled to payment. However, if you have a verbal agreement, the issue you are likely to face is one of proving the contract. If you have anything in writing to support the agreement, that would be beneficial. You should contact an attorney or perhaps consider taking the owner to small claims court depending upon how much you are owed. If it is more than $5,000.00, then contact an attorney to assist you. If less than $5,000.00, then small claims will be the better route most likely.