Are my visitation rights legal? 1 Answers as of July 27, 2011

I have a 4 year old daughter that I have not seen since she was 13 months old. The situation was the mother disappeared with our daughter for 3 days, then I was served a restraining order was served a temporary restraining order as she told the police in Maine that she fears for her life. This restraining order was filed in another jurisdiction. I attended the hearing 30 days later to be told the hearing will be postponed for another 30 days. I had never been in trouble or been to court before so I was thinking I would see my daughter there and brought a stuffed animal Tiger for her and gave the animal to her mother to give to her. I was arrested for violation of restraining order and served 2 days in jail. I attended the next hearing a month later and was told I was following the mother and need more jail time and served a 2 year restraining order with no contact with my daughter whats so ever. I never followed her or even knew where she was let alone have a vehicle as she stole my truck as well. I was supposed to report that weekend to serve a week in jail, but I ended up flying back to my hometown Las Vegas. I was never issued a warrant for not going to jail. During the 2 years of no contact my family sent birthday and Christmas presents to my daughter, this was used against me to extend the 2 year restraining order to another 5 years. This means my daughter will be 7 years old by the time I might have some kind of rights. I pay my child support and have never been charged with any violent crime or domestic violence. No police reports or any kind of evidence of being a dangerous person were ever proved. I would like to know is this is all legal and this is how a father is treated in the state of Maine? I don’t think this is fair to be shut out of my child’s life through false allegations. Its seems to me all someone has to do is say they fear for their life and can keep a child from the other parent. I would like to be a father and not just be a weekly payment.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Willick Law Group
Willick Law Group | Marshal S. Willick
What you should do - and should have done a long, long time ago - is get legal representation in Maine to deal with all of it, and establish yourself as a parent. No one in Nevada will be able to do so for you. You should probably seek consultation with an appropriate family law specialist. I would suggest starting your search with the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, which can be viewed at . Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: