Are the Joint Checking Accounts in my mother and my name supposed to go to me? 4 Answers as of June 07, 2011

My Mother added me as Beneficiary on 2 of her bank accounts. Then a few days before she passed away she added me as joint owner of the accounts. Should the accounts be turned over to the estate or are they mine?

When you are a "Joint Owner", you own100% of whatever you are listed as a Joint Owner on. This means that when your Mother made you a Joint Owner on those Bank Accounts, your Mother owned 100% of the Bank Account and so do you. Once she passed, you remained 100% owner of that Bank Account and it should not be considered a part of the Probate Estate.
They are yours. Go to the bank with a death certificate and that should be enough to have them turn the funds over to you. Otherwise, speak to an estate attorney. Good luck.
If the account is designated as "Joint Tenants" or "Joint Tenancy" or "Joint Tenancy with rights of survivorship, it passes to the surviving joint tenant automatically and is not part of the deceased estate. You need to find out how it is listed with the bank.
If they are a joint account, they are yours and you can draw them out at any time.