Are heirs responsible for paying back taxes and why? 3 Answers as of August 11, 2015

In 1972 my father and brother bought some land together. They have not paid property taxes since 1989. The land is going to be auctioned in April. My father is now 86 and in a home with Alzheimer’s, what are the repercussions if we do nothing about these back taxes are the heirs liable for the back taxes if my father dies and if the land sells would we still have to pay?

No, debts can't be inherited.
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
The estate is liable. In other word, the IRS and FTB get paid first. Anything left over can go to any other creditors and the heirs.
Polsinelli Shughart PC | William B. Prugh
The property taxes are a lien that runs with the land, and if the property is sold in a tax sale 1) the proceeds are applied to pay the back taxes, and 2) you have the right to redeem the property if you choose. You need to (and probably have) compare the current value of the land to the amount of taxes owed.