Are gifts exempt from bankruptcy? 6 Answers as of October 27, 2010

If I was given a truck from my relative and my name is not on the title and it is more than 5 years old are they gonna take it from me in the bankruptcy? We are thinking of Chapter 7.

Whether any asset can be taken from you in a Chapter 7 case is a function of what exemptions you have available to you under applicable state or federal law. This depends on where you have lived for the 2 years prior to filing your bankruptcy case. A gift to you is no different than an item you purchased. You either own it, or you don't.
Ariano & Reppucci
Ariano & Reppucci | Chris Ariano
Your truck should not be taken if it is not in your name. Essentially it is not a gift if the person giving the gift has not transferred the title over to you. However, you will have to disclose that you are using the vehicle.
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
Typically, vehicles fall under the allowed exemptions in a Chapter 7, and the debtor is permitted to keep them.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
Gifts can be exempt, if they fall within the scope of an exemption. Consult with an attorney to be sure.
Sussman & Associates
Sussman & Associates | Mitchell Sussman
All property, gifts included are subject to bankruptcy jurisdiction.