Are false claims enough damage to file suit against a dentist? 2 Answers as of November 10, 2017

Recently, my (2) children, 3 and 5 years old were treated at our family dentist as both were scheduled for routine cleaning / checkup. This routine checkup, for both children, promptly turned into numerous root canals, a mouth full of metal, severe visible bruising to entire face, constant pain and distress. Initially, consulting with the dentist, I verbally stated I was against the dentist’s recommendations, were talking of 3 and 5 year old kids. That quickly made the dentist very aggressive, repeatedly telling me "this is the best thing for your child's teeth, it is very common, I do this for a living, put your trust into me". Obviously, consent was given, I regret it. It was complete hell. Just a bit of background, this is my issue. Both kids are starting school, both kids dental / medical record reports needed to be submitted to the appropriate school. The reports that we're submitted from our dentist we're/are extremely disturbing. Both reports are identical, word for word, except one had my daughter listed as a male. Both reports are 100% false, alleging we indicated our kids drink nothing but pop, our kids won't eat anything but sweets. We cannot control our kids. Our kids refuse to brush their teeth, our kids do not bath regularly, etc. My wife was beyond embarrassed, as she is an RN, so not only the MD (our kids family doctor) that she works with daily is reading this info, but also schools, and any other future needs to review these 100% false claims. A phone call to the dentist office manager, to discuss these ridiculous, completely false claims, we are told she will discuss it with the doctor and advise back to us. She left a voice mail stating "she talked to the doctor, and the only reason for the false report was to assure our insurance will cover all of the financial costs. The doctor did say if you need him to write a letter he will do so.

If you can prove that the dentist said something about you that was not true, and that statement, oral or in writing, caused you to lose standing in the community (i.e. your reputation was damaged), then you can sue for defamation of character, or infliction of mental distress. But unless you have medical bills and records to prove it, your case is not very big. Truth is an absolute defense to a claim for defamation of character.
Downriver Injury and Auto Law | Michael Heilmann
It does not sound like you have enough damages to pursue an action.