Are a DWI and marijuana possession charge going to have severe consequences? 5 Answers as of March 30, 2011

Am I going to face severe consequences for these charges? I was charged and arrested with a DWI in Nassau. The officer also charged with marijuana possession last night.

I would need further details to advise as to the consequences since there are different degrees of poessession of marijuana, depending on the amount. Also DWI can be felony or misdemeanor. You should hire an attorney.
Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
Nassau County has a no plea policy on DWI cases. Retain a good criminal defense attorney. I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and have gotten an exception to the no-plea policy. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me if you wish to retain counsel.
You have likely been charged with VTL (meaning Vehicle and Traffic Law) Section 1192.4 which means you are charged with driving under the influence of drugs, specifically marijuana. This is an Unclassified Misdemeanor which is handled as a Class "A" Misdemeanor which carries up to one year in jail, three years Probation or $1000 in fines, plus about $6-800. in surcharges. Also, your license will likely be suspended or revoked depending upon what they DA wants to do with your case. However, there may be ways in which you can defend yourself and your case, such as whether the police stopped you properly and searched your car properly for the right reasons, etc. In other words, there may be a lot of legitimate legal issues available to you to defend your case with that should be looked at before you get ready to simply plead guilty. The possession charge may or may not be a Misdemeanor depending upon the weight involved and where it was found or seen. In other words, you should hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer to represent you and defend your case strenuously. You may have a good chance of overcoming what presently may look grim. Its happened before and it can happen again. Right now is a good time because the Police Lab has been put under scrutiny and is in questionable condition. Good luck.
A criminal conviction will make some employers think twice before offering you a job and may prevent you from getting into certain colleges or graduate programs. Unless it is a felony you can still be a doctor or a lawyer and it is almost mandatory for actors, politicians, and musicians to have a DWI or drug conviction so those professions are still open to you. The most important thing you can do is to counter the convictions with excellent grades, job experience, a good vocabulary, references, and a well written resume. You can also start your own business or do hundreds of jobs where you work for yourself with or without other employees that you can become partners with, or have working with you or for you. The real money is not in working for others, it is having others working for you. You must become an overachiever who works ten hours a day at becoming a success or you will end up making $23,000 a year for the rest of your life whether you have minor convictions or not. Knowledge is power and the more people you know the better your chances of success will be. Sales are always a good way to make a living if you have people skills. Selling insurance, automobiles, software, etc. is a good way to make $50,000 to $80,000 a year without a college education. I suggest you get a graduate degree and find a career you enjoy. If you are intelligent, personable, skilled, and dress well you will be successful in life. If you are ignorant, rude, vulgar, sloppy, and lazy you will need to win the lottery. I would wish you good luck but that would make you believe that luck has anything to do with success.
Law Offices of Carl Spector
Law Offices of Carl Spector | Carl Spector
Yes, both charges are serious and should be taken seriously. DWI charges carry a potential loss of drivers license, fines and potential jail time. Marijuana charges should be taken seriously but can be handled in such a way where the consequences can be minor. You do not want to wind up with a criminal record if you can avoid it. Interview competent lawyers and hire one that is familiar with your situation. Good Luck.