Are designer handbags purchased during marriage for personal use considered marital property? 7 Answers as of May 05, 2014

I bought a few handbags during marriage and also received a few from my husband as a gift for holidays and birthdays. Are they considered marital property? Before I moved out, I was advised to take personal belongings i.e. clothing, shoes, hats, bags with me and leave everything else as it is considered marital property. Now my husband is claiming handbags as marital property. Please advise. Thank you!

Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
No, handbags and other gifts would be considered your property by the court and not divisible upon dissolution.
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
You are suppose to list everything of value on the property declaration.
The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C.
The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C. | Douglas L. Bryan
They would be considered as community property, unless you had a pre- or post- marital contract.
Fran Brochstein
Fran Brochstein | Fran Brochstein
Anything given as a gift is your separate property. If he claims they are not gifts, then any proof that you have (a birthday or anniversary card or witnesses) can be used to prove your claim. The items you purchased are community property. In Texas, everything is "presumed" to be community property but you can rebut that presumption with evidence. You need to consult with a family law attorney about the details of your case.
Personal belongings such as clothing and accessories are typically treated by the court as belonging to the individual using them. If these handbags were bought as investments, the court would take a different position.
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
    He is going to look ridiculous when you get in front of a Judge.
    Generally, such items would be personal property unless their value was significant, and the number of them might imply a collection. Each divorce case is individual and determined in accord with its particular circumstances. I would suggest that you counsel with an attorney for making any commitments one way or the other.