Are County and State Police Required to have their Dash Cameras on while on duty? 6 Answers as of April 23, 2013

In short, I was arrested for Resisting arrest, Disorderly Conduct, and Public Intoxication. I was with a friend of mine who was driving my car when we were pulled over. He was arrested for a OWI and OWI with possible of harm. Initially I was not going to jail, I registered very low on the PBT test given by state trooper, however he doesn't even state that he gave me a test at all. It wasn't until The K9 County Trooper arrived that there that problems arise. He threw me out of my passenger seat in mid air to the ground because I said I did not have to give him my social security number by law, which is true. I also informed him that the state trooper had my Driver's license. For some reason, I don't know if it's because he was in a bad mood, or because I am multiracial, or whatever the reason, this made him mad enough to through me from my car and tell the State Trooper to charge me with resisting. Many errors in police report and my public defender is not on my side. I have requested for Dash Cam/video cam videos from both troopers, and the County officer has responded to prosecutor that his dash cam was off. Public defender also claims that just because his dash cam was off, it is not grounds to file for a dismissal even though dash cam will prove my innocence and the police brutality. What can I do, and are officers required to have dash cameras on during a routine pullover, or while on duty?

They are not required to have it on at all times, while on duty. So, IF the camera was off, IT CANNOT PROVE YOUR INNOCENCE. Did you have your own dash camera on. No, then let us deal with the evidence that you have. Fuck the PD. Why are you not retaining your own attorney. Because although you know the law, you have absolutely no money.
There is no such requirement, but either way you need to hire a lawyer to defend you in court. That is, if you are interested in getting the charge dropped.
That depends on the particular agency rules. It is not State law in Michigan. However this can be used at trial to make them look bad.
There are no requirements that I am aware of, mandating the police to run their dash cams at every stop, and in fact, many police cars are not even equipped with dash cams. ?Listen to the advice given by your public defender, they are highly qualified attorneys who should resolve the matter in your best interests.
Since I do not know the facts, I am not going to second guess your attorney.
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    Probably not. Consider that not all patrol cars have been equipped with dash cam, and consider how much hard drive space it would take to constantly record, even when it isn't needed. In a case that I tried in federal court, in Maryland state trooper testified that the dash camera is activated, when the officer turns on the emergency lights. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence.