Are the consequences severe for my first DWI in New York? 5 Answers as of April 21, 2011

I am taking pain medication for a bad back. If charged with a DWI for the first time, am I going to jail? What are the consequences? I live in New York, and have a possession charge from a year ago for painkillers.

You are presently charged with a Class "A" Misdemeanor which can be punishable by up to one year in jail, $1000. fine and/or 3 years on Probation. I strongly suggest you hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer and fight the case. If you had a prior, the case could be harder to defend or get a plea bargain for, so get a good lawyer. Good luck.
You should retain an experienced criminal attorney in Manhattan. He will know the police, prosecutors, judges, and be able to get the best results. Most likely you will be allowed to plead guilty to a violation of Impaired with a $500 fine, a 90 day suspension of your license and a drinking and driving course. You will not have to serve a jail sentence unless you get caught driving while your license is suspended. Feel free to call for a consultation.
I would need further details about the prior charge and the DWI but if no one was injured ( if there was an accident ) and if the DWI is a misdemeanor and not a felony and the prior possession charge is not serious you probably will not go to jail. You should hire an attorney.
Law Offices of Carl Spector
Law Offices of Carl Spector | Carl Spector
1. You may be sentenced to a maximum of one year in jail;
2. A minimum six-month drivers license suspension and;
3. Be required to install and maintain an ignition interlock device at your expense and;
4. Be ordered to pay mandatory fines, ranging from $500 to $1,000.
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers | Alexander Sanchez
Your first DWI arrest is a misdemeanor, and carries a possible sentence of either one year in jail, probation, fines, program participation, interlock device, suspended license, or any combination thereof. Usually, the first DWI offense does not result in jail, but mandatory treatment.