Are community credit unions exempt from obtaining relief from an automatic stay? 12 Answers as of June 11, 2013

My vehicle was financed by a local community credit union. I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy and the credit union repossessed my vehicle two months later without obtaining relief from the automatic stay. Are credit unions EXEMPT from obtaining relief? Were they legally allowed to repossess my vehicle at any time while I was in bankruptcy?

Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
Community Credit Unions are not exempt from the automatic stay.
Benson Law Firm
Benson Law Firm | David Benson
Credit unions are subject to the automatic stay, just as all creditors are. If the credit union failed to get permission from the judge via a motion to lift the automatic stay, it may have violated the law and may be subject to sanction. If you do not have an attorney, now would be a good time to consult with one.
The credit union must first obtain relief from stay before repossessing. Demand the car be returned.
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
Credit unions are not automatically exempt from the automatic stay.
No, they are not exempt. That is a stay violation. You should see a lawyer.
    No one is exempt from the Automatic Stay - even the IRS stops collection action. This should be brought to the attention to your attorney and the Bankruptcy Trustee.
    The Law Offices of Benjamin C. Tiller, Esq.
    The Law Offices of Benjamin C. Tiller, Esq. | Benjamin Tiller
    Community credit unions are not exempt obtaining relief from the automatic stay. Did you have an attorney representing you during your bankruptcy? As long as the automatic stay was in effect when they took your car, you should file a motion with the court to hold the credit union in contempt. Call me if you have any questions.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    They are not exempt from the stay and are potentially in violation.
    I am not aware of any law that exempts any credit union from the automatic stay that takes in effect when you file for bankruptcy and which remains in effect until 30 days after the initial date of the meeting of creditors. However, it sounds like the automatic stay may not have been in effect as to the vehicle two months after you filed for bankruptcy. This assumes that you filed a Chapter 7 case and did not reaffirm the debt. Most lenders do not take the chance of repossessing a vehicle until your bankruptcy case is closed without obtaining relief of stay first but your credit union apparently took the chance. It sounds like technically they did not need relief of stay in your case. You should tell your bankruptcy attorney because if the stay was violated then you are entitled to damages from the credit union plus attorneys' fees and getting the vehicle delivered back to you.
    No.
    Absolutely not. If they did not obtain relief from the automatic stay from the bankruptcy court before repossessing your car, they are in violation of the automatic stay. If they had knowledge and notice of your bankruptcy case, then the violation is a willful one and you can recover sanctions against them under section 362(h) of the bankruptcy code.