Are bank accounts abroad affected by bankruptcy? 6 Answers as of October 27, 2010

I am thinking about declaring Chapter 7 bankruptcy but also have a bank account abroad. Will that bank be notified of my decision, or does my bankruptcy only concern my U.S. banks?

Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
All assets, world wide, must be listed in your bankruptcy. Failure to do so is a felony and can result in jail time, fines, and denial of discharge. If you want to hide your assets, then you should not file bankruptcy.
Law Office of Barbara Seeley Curtis
Law Office of Barbara Seeley Curtis | Barbara Curtis
You must list all bank accounts and show recent statements.
You are supposed to report all the assets you have including overseas assets. If the bankruptcy trustee discovers that you have undisclosed assets they can use them to pay creditors and charge you with a crime for failure to disclose. You should discuss this matter with an attorney prior to filing bankruptcy.
Sussman & Associates
Sussman & Associates | Mitchell Sussman
All assets, wherever located are subject to bankruptcy court jurisdiction.
You must list all assets and all debts, wherever they are located, in any bankruptcy case. Failure to do so is fraud and punishable by, among other things, denial of discharge, non-dischargeable fines, and jail time.
    The court would have power over all of your assets. Depending on how much you have in that bank account, you might still be able to file.