Any advice before I attend my criminal hearing? 2 Answers as of July 11, 2011

I have a petition for an order of protection against me. My ex girlfriend claims that i harassed her by calling her phone and sending text messages. In the time span of 2 years, i only called or texted her on 4 different occasions. At no time did I threaten her or her well being.

If your order of protection indicated no contact by any means with the protected party, that means......NO CONTACT, even by third parties. Threats, etc. are irrelevant. Merely calling her is sufficient to have you charged. Of course, it is imperative you retain competent counsel to represent you in court, as you could face some jail time.
Brucar & Yetter, P.C.
Brucar & Yetter, P.C. | Wayne Brucar
Harassment does not necessarily require a threat. Even innocuous texts after a request to stop can form the basis of justification for an order of protection. The petition for the order of protection contains the basis of the request. At a hearing, the judge will have to determine the factual accuracy of the allegations and decide if court intervention is necessary for the petitioner's protection.