Can they sue me for an old medical bill? 4 Answers as of May 30, 2013

In 2009 i was admitted at a hospital in Ann arbor , i was at that time on F1 student visa , a month later I received a bill of $7000 which I ignored then. The case was transfered to a collection agency which tried to contact me many times. Three years later, I received a notice from a debt collection to my old address asking me to pay my old account or they could forward my case to an attorney and file lawsuit against me , they only have my old address and first and last names. Can they file a civil suit against me and what i should do , or should I just ignore their notice?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Dunnings Law Firm
Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
Yes they can.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/30/2013
The DeRose Lawfirm | Peter J. DeRose
Without question-you can be sued for an old medical bill! If the debt collector hires an attorney, they will file the lawsuit at your old address. A process server will look for you there, find that you do not live there and submit an affidavit to the attorney. The court will order service by alternate means such as publication in a newspaper in the county of your old address. A judgment will issue against you for the full amount, attorney fees, costs, pre j udgment interest and post judgment interest. After the judgment appeal period expires, they will make a serious effort to locate you. They will find you and collect the judgment by garnishment, levy against your property or both. The best thing to do is hire a lawyer skilled in debt negotiation. He or she can negotiate the debt to a place you can accept and get rid or your problem. It is best to do this before the involvement of a collection attorney, for obvious reasons, and to deal with the debt collector without the input of their lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/16/2012
Klisz Law Office, PLLC
Klisz Law Office, PLLC | Timothy J. Klisz
Yes. They have up to 6 years to sue you. Ignore until suit is filed, then speak to an attorney about your options.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/16/2012
Click to View More Answers: