Am I a US citizen if I was adopted by a US citizen? 2 Answers as of March 06, 2011

My Dad adopted me at the age of 11 in 1981 in Germany where we lived he is an American citizen. I live in the U.S. on a green card. Should I be automatically a U.S citizen?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The short answer is yes, if your father was a citizen at the time. You were under the age of 16, so your adoption was automatic upon entry into the U.S. with the green card. If you can demonstrate that adoption, then you can apply for a recognition of naturalized citizenship. If you wish to discuss that further, and how I can help, please feel free to call or e-mail for an appointment.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/6/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
Yes if you were legally adopted by a U.S. Citizen before your 16th birthday, you automatically derive U.S. Citizenship. You can apply for your U.S. Passport.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/1/2011
Click to View More Answers: