Am I a tenant that is being discriminated against? 1 Answers as of July 07, 2011

I have resided at my apartment for 8 yrs. My father & I were on the lease until approx 3yrs ago. He was taken off and I am. Currently on the lease with my children. I have been looking for a 3 bedroom within their management co. I found a few and was eligible to move with my rental history or income not playing a roll. I've been referred to as a good tenant. I recently found out about a 3 bedroom becoming available. I contacted the mgr was told to bring in a holding deposit. My mother works for this co. And they are familiar with her and management has approved for me to move with no issues. The mgr called me back stating that I had been late 4 times in an yr and I can't move there. However management said I could move to one of their other buildings but not that one because the owner is same.

Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
I do not see any discrimination. Owner has a policy that a tenant who has 4 late payments in a year cannot enter into a new lease at any of the properties they own. Manager has to follow that policy for that owner. If manager also manages a property for a different owner, manager is not bound by that policy and can rent to you.