Am I supposed to be read the Miranda rights on an arrest for marijuana possession? 1 Answers as of May 05, 2011

I was arrested this weekend in Marion County at a roadblock for possession of marijuana less than an ounce. The arresting officer asked me several questions but never told me that I was under arrest. He put me in handcuffs and put me in the patrol car. Once I was in the car, he asked me several more questions but never read me my Miranda rights or for that matter never told me that I was under arrest. I thought that when a person is being arrested they have to read the Miranda rights to that person. Do I have the legal right to be read the Miranda rights and can my admission of the marijuana being mine is dismissed since I was not read my rights or ever told that I was under arrest? I am new to this and have never between in trouble for anything. I do not know what to do or if even my rights was violated by this officer when he put me in handcuffs and in his patrol car without telling me I was under arrest or reading me my Miranda rights. I answered all questions he asked me not knowing that I did not have to answer any questions. Can someone please tell me if I have been violated by the Marion County police in the charge and this arrest.

First, you need to retain an experienced criminal attorney to advise you as to your rights and options, and to explore the possibility of raising this issue in a suppression motion. Generally, Miranda applies to two situations: (1) interrogations, (2) of a person in custody. Please discuss this issue with your attorney. Good luck!