Am I still married even if separated for 30 years now? 5 Answers as of September 04, 2012

I wanted to know if I'm still married, due to the fact that I have been separated for over 30 years now and she had moved on. She called me up saying that she was going through a divorce with her current boyfriend due to the fact that she was using his last name. So how can I find out if I'm still married to her.

Graves Law Firm
Graves Law Firm | Steve Graves
If you married her formally and you've never gotten divorced from her, you're still married to her. However, if you were never formally married with a marriage license and a judge or minister, the right to claim common law marriage expired two years after you split up.
Nwokoye Law Firm
Nwokoye Law Firm | Violet Nwokoye
You are married until a divorce is granted by a court
The Law Office of Eric J Smith
The Law Office of Eric J Smith | Eric Smith
Marriages do not expire. Feel free to inform your wife that her current problems are over and she is still married to you (whatever problems THAT may produce), unless she can produce a divorce decree signed by a judge.
Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
If a divorce decree was never entered, you're still married. Ask her if she ever filed for divorce from you. If she says yes, ask for a copy of the papers, or the name of the county where she filed. If she can't prove to you that she got formally divorced, file a divorce action where you are living claiming abandonment and see if she will agree to sign divorce papers. If she will, you can do this yourself without a lawyer and it shouldn't cost you very much.
Thomas P. Carnes, Attorney & Mediator | Thomas P. Carnes
Generally I would start by asking her the whens and where's of the divorce, and then researching it through Court records. The Bureau of Vital Statistics in the state of divorce should also have this information. In many states, this information is online.