Am I still married? 4 Answers as of June 07, 2011

Please help. I fell in love with a Russian girl and after a year of dating I asked her to marry me. After are I.N.S meeting that we passed are plan was to move to California me first since I had a job lined up and her a week later after she cleaned and packed up the rest of the stuff. Well after I moved she shut off the phone we had together switched her number and I haven't heard from her since. I would like to know how I could find out if I'm still married with out traveling back to New York to the county clerk? I never changed my address so I got no paperwork to tell me this...please help

It is difficult to evaluate whether or not you are still married, because in your question, you didn't state that you married the Russian girl. Assuming that you did marry her, you haven't provided any information that would lead me to suspect that you aren't still married to her - you didn't indicate that you were served any divorce papers.
You may presently assume you are still married and obviously she simply used you to get citzenship. You can report her to the INS for fraud in the inducement of marriage and seek an annulment in NY or CA. Consult with a local lawyer to discover more. Good luck.
Fredric H. Aaron, Attorney at Law, P.C.
Fredric H. Aaron, Attorney at Law, P.C. | Fredric Harlan Aaron
You didn't make clear in your question when and where you were married. As for the Citizenship and Immigration Service (the new name for I.N.S.), it could be a problem for your wife if you are no longer married, since she will have received a provisional green card. If you are now divorced, there is a chance that the C.I.S. could began proceedings against her to cancel the green card and remove her from the country. As to whether you are still married, in order to get a divorce in New York, your wife would have had to file a case against you. It is unlikely that she did this without notifying you. You also did not make clear how long it has been since you last heard from her. Generally in New York, even an uncontested divorce can take several months from filing before it is granted.
If you weren't served with divorce papers, then yes, you are married. If you interested in divorcing and are in my area, please contact me for a free consultation.