Am I responsible for unpaid credit card debt after divorce? 1 Answers as of August 19, 2011

I was divorced in the state of FL over 10 years ago. As part of the divorce, my ex-husband was to pay off the credit card debt. I now live in MN and just found out that he never paid this credit card off. I attempted to open a checking account with the same institution that issued the credit card that my ex-husband never paid but was denied. The institution is saying that I am responsible for that debt. Do I have any options? As an aside, my divorce lawyer passed away soon as my divorce so I cannot contact her for further advice.

A divorce decree only obligates the parties to a divorce. If you are listed as a debtor on a financial obligation, the creditor may seek payment of the debt against any named debtors pursuant to the contract.