Am I responsible for taxes my wife owes even if we are separated? How? 6 Answers as of June 23, 2015

My wife and I have been separated for about 10 years, but we are technically still married. Because she did not pay her taxes for last year, I owe the IRS money. I am trying to get a divorce, and I do not want to pay for her taxes, but she has been very uncooperative in providing me with the forms I need to fix the tax issue. How do I keep her financial problems from draining my wallet?

If you didn't file a joint return, you're not liable for her taxes.
Andrew Gordon
Andrew Gordon | Andrew Gordon
If you filed joint then you are both responsible. You may be able to file for innocent spouse relief. You should contact a tax attorney to assist you.
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
If you file a joint return, you are responsible. If separate returns, then not.
See an attorney and an accountant and get the divorce.
Polsinelli Shughart PC | William B. Prugh
If you file a joint tax return, you are generally jointly liable for taxes due on that return. In the future, you may want to consider with a tax preparer filing separately and report your income & expenses on separate returns. You can consult a tax advisor to determine if there is relief for already filed tax returns, such as claiming to be an innocent spouse who is not liable for back taxes. Absent that, you can contact the IRS to set up a payment plan to cover unpaid taxes due in prior years.
    McKenzie,Wilkes & Mahmoud | Henry Nasif Mahmoud
    How long were you filing joint returns?? When did you stop filing joint returns? You both are responsible for the taxes on those joint returns.?