Am I responsible for my visiting mother's medical bills? 4 Answers as of April 21, 2014

I sponsored my mother to come into the country a little while ago. She was taken to the hospital by ambulance and admitted to the ICU last week where she stayed from Wednesday night to Friday night. She unfortunately passed away. Now I am getting the medical bills. However, they are all in her name. She has no income/savings/assets or insurance. I checked with the hospital and she/I do not qualify for assistance. Am I responsible for these bills?

James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Probably not unless you signed something when you sponsored her coming to the US.
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
Only if you signed something saying you would agree to be.
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
As a general proposition a child is not liable for a parent's medical bills. When a non-citizen enters the U.S., the federal government sometimes requires that a family member or other sponsor agree to be financially responsible for the person entering the country. It usually applies only to government assistance welfare, Medicaid, SSI and the like but not to private debts. You need to check the terms of the sponsorship.
HARVEY S. MORRISON, ATTONEY AT LAW
HARVEY S. MORRISON, ATTONEY AT LAW | HARVEY S. MORRISON
Unless you signed a guarantee upon her hospital admission, you are not liable for her medical bills.