Am I responsible for my spouses debt and why? 17 Answers as of August 25, 2015

Can I be held responsible for my husband's delinquent credit cards if my name's not on them and there's a different billing address?

Maybe yes and maybe no. I would need more information. Look at Colorado's "Family Purpose Doctrine".
Yes. If you live in a marital property (=community property) state like Wisconsin, you can expect that both spouses are liable on marital or community debt, regardless of whose name is on it. There are some exceptions: the relatively few debts which are not 'in the interest of the family,' and those which your husband incurred before the marriage. Good Luck.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq. | Stacy Joel Safion
No you are not but your community property is.
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
If your name is not on them, the creditor will seek payment from him. They are not bound by any orders the court makes re distribution of assets and liabilities in the divorce.
If you did not become a co signor then no, you are not responsible for them.
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
    No, if you did not sign for the debt you are fine.
    No, generally you're not responsible for any debts unless you signed for them.
    If the debt that you reference was acquired during the course of the marriage, you're technically responsible for that debt and a creditor has a right to pursue you for the liability. If this debt is something that pertains only to husband's expenses and did not benefit the community, you can make an argument that he should be awarded the entirety of the debt. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to explore your legal options.
    Nope. But actually...... Technically yes in a community property state but I have never seen a credit card company go after a non-signing spouse.
    Only if the credit cards were used to pay for medical expenses or other necessities. Even if the cards were used for this purpose, the creditor is unlikely to know about your marriage.
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    Wi is a community property state. All assets -except inheritance and gifts from third parties- and all debts are considered marital until or unless a court says otherwise.
    Generally no, unless you used them.
    The answer depends on several different factors. The short answer is that no, probably not. However, if you live in a Community Property state, it is possible that the community estate is liable for the bills. This means that you probably could not be sued but your money, if commingled with your husband, could be used to pay the debts off. It is best to discuss this with an attorney in your area who can get more information from you and make a better evaluation.
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    No. Each spouse has the right under federal law to obtain credit without the involvement of the other.
    Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen
    Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen | Joshua Cohen
    That would be a no.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    Certainly if your name is not on the credit cards the creditor cannot come after you for payment. The court however can find the debt to be marital property and make you responsible for one half. That is of course negotiable.
    Marc S. Stern
    Marc S. Stern | Marc S. Stern
    Probably not. It really depends upon how the credit card is set up and exactly what happened.