Am I responsible for my husbands IRA distribution tax? 4 Answers as of May 23, 2011

My ex-husband just got a notice from the IRS that our 2009 tax returns did not match what the IRS had received. At the time, we were separated, are now divorced. We did file a joint return when separated. I just found out he cashed an IRA policy and I had no idea, therefore, did not include this on our tax returns. They are sending a notice that we owe taxes (10% penalty) for the IRA. Am I responsible for this debt?

David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Yes, if you filed a joint return can sue husband for reimbursement.
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
Yes you are legally responsible since you filed a joint return. However, you may qualify for "innocent spouse" status that could eliminate your liability. You need to meet with a tax attorney to discuss the possibilities.
At the outset, since you signed the return you are responsible for the return and the tax due. However, you should apply for innocent spouse relief. A tax problem resolution attorney can assist you with this to make sure you make the claim properly.