Am I responsible for my father's rent when he dies and why? 10 Answers as of September 08, 2015

My dad owns a mobile home and rents the lot it sits. Am I responsible for the mobile home or paying the lot rent when he dies?

The Krone Law Firm, LLC | Norman B. Krone
No, you are not personally responsible, but the estate may be.
Only if you inherit the mobile home and want to keep it.
You do not unless you signed the lease too.
Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
Actually your father's estate will be responsible for all that you have asked. If you are your father's only heir, in order to get the mobile home transferred into your name or to sell it if that is what you wish to do; you will have to open an estate in the circuit court (Probate division) in the county where your father lives.
No, but the home may have some value.
    Law Office of T. Phillip Boggess | T. Phillip Boggess
    The estate would have to pay the rent. If no one paid the rent, I?m sure the park could put a lien on the property or submit a claim against the estate. If a lien is placed on the mobile home, it would have to be paid to sell it.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    As owner of the mobile home your father's estate would be responsible for the rent of the property on which the mobile home sits. If you accept distribution of the mobile home from the your father's estate you would be responsible for the rental payments provided the home remains on the property.
    Richard J. Keyes Attorney at Law | Richard J. Keyes
    The creditor can only go after the assets of the decedent and not family members. Therefore, you are not personally liable for the debt.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    Your dad's estate is responsible for the mobile home and the rent. If you want the home, or anything in it, you're going to need to work with the owner of the lot. Or, if your father owns any other assets you'd like to inherit, you'll need to deal with the owner of the lot.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    Your father's assets are responsible. If you are receiving his assets or intend to receive the mobile home, the rent probably needs to be paid. Seek counsel if you are concerned. Many will give a free Initial consultation. Good luck.