Am I responsible for my deceased husbands medical bills? 7 Answers as of August 16, 2011

Am I responsible for my deceased husband's medical bills not covered by insurance (all in his name, I'm not on any medical records or bills)?

Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr. | John C. Farrell, Jr.
You personally are not responsible but your husband's estate may be responsible. In MAa creditor has 1 year after the notification of the death to file a claim against the estate.
It will depend on whether or not these were the medical bills that had to do with your spouses last illness before passing. There is a doctrine of necessities that could cause you to be obligated to pay. However, they would have to sue you for that.
The Law Offices of Laurie E. Ohall, P.A.
The Law Offices of Laurie E. Ohall, P.A. | Laurie E. Ohall
Currently, a Florida spouse is not responsible for the deceased spouse's medical bills (so long as you do did not sign anything to guarantee payment or to make you the responsible party). A deceased spouse's bills become part of his estate - if a probate is opened, the creditors will have an opportunity to file a claim against the estate. If there is no probate, the creditors are, essentially, out of luck.
No. But you cannot generally take any of his estate until the bills are paid, as creditors come before your inheritance.
No, but his estate would be. If you are in California, one half of all assets owned by the two of you is part of his estate.