Am I responsible for the fees charged by the collection agency? 4 Answers as of September 05, 2013

I receive a letter from a collection agency and I in turn pay the debt directly to the creditor.

Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
Only if the contract between you and the creditor created such liability
Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC
Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC | Mark Cherry
It depends on the underlying agreement. If you agreed to it in a contract, then yes. If not, then it is the responsibility of the creditor to pay the collection agency.
Reade & Associates
Reade & Associates | R. Christopher Reade
If the Creditor gives you a release and indicates that the debt is paid in full, you will not be liable for the Collection Agency fees. However be careful that the creditor does not apply your payment as a partial payment and keep collecting due to failure to pay the collection fees.
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
You are only responsible for what you agreed to. If, when you obtained the medical care, you signed something agreeing to pay any collection costs, you do. If not, you owe no such thing.