Am I responsible for damages if I break the lease agreement? 1 Answers as of July 26, 2011

I am vacating a rental house due to my landlord failing to make repairs that include a leaking basement and mold. I have a small child in the house, and fear for her health. Am I at risk for any legal action, or financial obligation? (The lease was signed without a credit check, so the landlord does not have the necessary information to report to a credit bureau.)

The Coyle Law Office
The Coyle Law Office | T. Andrew Coyle
You should only be responsible for damage caused by you or your guests. A leaking basement would not generally be considered a problem caused by you, but that does not mean that your landlord won't try to say it is. You could also be liable for the remaining months' rent on your lease if you leave early, but if you can show that the house was uninhabitable due to the mold, etc., then you would not be responsible for that either.