Am I responsible for an unpaid loan if my husbad forged my signature? 2 Answers as of January 21, 2013

My husband (whom I have been living separate from) forged my signature as co-signer on a truck loan remodification. The truck has since been repossessed and sold. Now the finance company is coming after me for the balance of the unpaid loan. Am I responsible for this since I was not aware of the remodification of the loan and my signature was forged? Should I file a police report against my husband for this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr. | John C. Farrell, Jr.
It sounds like you may be a victim of identity theft. There are a number of situations which you as a consumer can be wrongfully sued on for charges that you did not authorize. The non-authorized use of your signature is criminal. There are many cases involving marital separation when one family member uses another family members account without proper authorization or as in your case forged a signature. I would suggest filing a report at your local police department and calling the bank to put them on notice. I would even meet with someone in authority at the bank to address this issue regarding your fraudulent loan. Simply stated as a non-consenting party to this loan you should not be held accountable for it. But now you are on notice about the fraud so you must act to address it with the proper authorities and responsible parties.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 7/31/2011
R. Steven Chambers PLLC | R. Steven Chambers PLLC
You will need to prove to the satisfaction of the court that your signature is forged. If you can do this, you are not responsible. You should file a police report for forgery.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 1/21/2013
Click to View More Answers: