Am I required to provide the father's name for child support information? 12 Answers as of May 28, 2013

I had a baby a few months ago and I didn't put the father on the birth certificate for safety reasons. I am temporarily getting food stamps and the child support office sent me a letter wanting to know the dad's information. If he pays child support will he get automatic rights? He has another child which the mother of that child is trying to get him to sign rights over because he is very unfit and verbally abusive. Do I have a choice in this or do I have to give his name? I don't want child support. I just care about the safety of my child. Thanks.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
In Nevada you have to provide the name of the child's father. If you are concerned for your safety you contact the secretary of state and file paperwork to have them be your mailing address.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/28/2013
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
If you do not cooperate with the child support office, they will terminate your benefits. So yes, you will need to give them the information. And no, he will not automatically have rights to see the child. In Florida, the child support office only establishes paternity and child support. Visitation is a separate issue.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/28/2013
Petit & Dommershausen SC
Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
Yes to get state benefits you must cooperate; however, you can ask them to make a "good cause" finding so they don't go after him. Even if he is ordered to pay, he will have to request custody and placement it isn't automatic.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 5/28/2013
Rebecca Rainwater
Rebecca Rainwater | Rebecca Rainwater
If you receive aide from the state the state will go after the other parent to reimburse what state has paid and to establish support for child. If you believe it is not in the best interest of child to have unsupervised visits with the father you will need to have evidence and if the court is satisfied they will order supervised visits. You and the other mother can work together to bring information to the court.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/28/2013
Kunin &Carman | Ishi Kunin
You are getting child support in the form of food stamps and assistance. If you don't want to give the father's name, you need to support the child on your own. Otherwise taxpayers are paying when the father should be.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/28/2013
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    You have no choice. You are receiving government assistance and he has a duty to pay his fair share. If you don't want him around, then you will have to ask for a custody order keeping him away. If you don't, he will have the rights of any parent.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 5/28/2013
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    If he pays child support he will not get automatic right; he would need to file a legitimation action in order to get any right to the child. Paying child support does not in and of itself grant rights to a bio father of a child born out of wedlock. However, it is possible that in order to receive govern and aid, they will require you to disclose the child's father's identity; the father is legally responsible for the child financially and the state might not give you aid if you do not disclose the father's name. So you might have to make a decision whether you want the state aid or keep the father's identity private. If the state requires it in order to provide the aid, the you will have to make the disclosure.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 5/27/2013
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 5/27/2013
    Dalton Law Firm, PC | David Allen Dalton
    In order to continue receiving benefits from the State, you will need to name the father. The State will then seek to obtain an order of child support from the father, including an order for him to reimburse the State for the benefits provided to you. This action will legally establish that he is the father, but will not establish custody or visitation. The issue of custody and visitation would have to be established through a separate action through the Family Court.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 5/27/2013
    John Russo | John Russo
    He already has rights if he decides to enforce them child support has nothing to do with it, and yes if you want taxpayer assisted support then you must disclose the father's name.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 5/27/2013
    Ronald Main & Associates | Tracian M. Laignel
    If you receive state aid and the state asks for biological father info you must supply or lose your benefits. Just be sure and let the agency know that you do not want the father to have any rights to the child.
    Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
    Replied: 5/27/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney