Am I required to appear at my husband's renewal of green card? 5 Answers as of May 20, 2013

I have been separated from my husband for close to ten years, soon after I helped him renew his green car. I am an American Citizen. He always refuses to give a divorce so our communication is not much, since after police visited our home. He called me couple of weeks ago telling me his renewal is coming up soon, and he is nervous because he has been without a drivers license for years. He has not paid some tickets & child support. Being still married to him, do I have to appear with him like I did the first time to renew his GC ? I think he got an attorney to get his ticket & license problems straightened out. I did file a lien on him for nonpayment of monies that he owed me. Would that have any bad effect on him not getting his GC renewal? Thanks for your time. I will await your advice and answer. I do appreciate your expertise.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
If you are not together any ore, you should NOT attend any interview and lie about the relationship . Your husband has the option of divorcing and applying for a waiver of joint filing.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/20/2013
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
No, you do not need to appear anywhere.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/17/2013
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
You do not need to cooperate with him to renew his green card.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/17/2013
Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
Your question is not clear. But if your husband's is already a full permanent resident and wishes to renew an expiring green card, your presence is not necessary. If he is a conditional resident alien CR, he needs to file a Form I-751 to remove conditions on his residence (to become a full permanent residence) then, he may need your joint appearance, but then only, if you and him signed the I-751 application in the first place. I believe your spouse is the one with the problem and I suspect he knows what to do.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/17/2013
Ben T. Liu Law Office
Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
His renewal of his 10 year green card should not be a problem because he is separated from you.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/17/2013
Click to View More Answers: