Am I qualified for citizenship application? 8 Answers as of April 24, 2014

I'm a U.S.. permanent resident since 2007 through marriage. My wife and I are currently separated because we are going to divorce. Am I still qualified for citizenship naturalization application since I am a permanent resident for more than 5 years?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
If you are a permanent resident for 5 years, you can petition for naturalization regardless of whether you are still married or not.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/24/2014
Penn Law
Penn Law | Gigi Penn
It may no longer be an issue, as it has been 7 years since you got married. However, be prepared to show/submit documents/proof that you entered the marriage in good faith. Marriage counseling sessions go a long way to show this, for example. Consult an immigration attorney to assist you and to protect your rights.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/16/2014
Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
If you have been a legal resident since 2007 (more than 5 years), it appears that you are eligible to become a US citizen married or not. But note, there are other issues that might impact your eligibility for citizenship and cannot all be addressed in this forum. Hence, I suggest you have at least a consultation with an experienced attorney in your area.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/16/2014
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
Yes. Your current marital status should have no bearing on your application if you are applying on the basis that you have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 4/16/2014
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
You appear to qualify under the 5-year rule.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/16/2014
Click to View More Answers: