Am I obligated to turn myself in for committing retail fraud? 6 Answers as of July 29, 2011

I committed retail fraud. The item I tried to return was $200. The officer told me to come in three weeks later to turn myself in. I have never been in trouble with the law before. Can you give me some insight on this? The money was never put in my account for the return they just had the item. Any insight?

Get an attorney and turn yourself in. Do not go and talk to the police. They are not your friends.
Thank you for your inquiry If you tried to fraudulently return a $200 item and were caught, then there may be a warrant for your arrest which is being held at the Court/Police Department. If so, then you should probably turn yourself in so that there is not an active warrant against you. However, I would suggest that you retain an attorney first so that they can talk with the detective in charge of the case to verify the charges and get an agreement for hopefully a personal bond when you turn yourself in. You may contact my office for an appointment to discuss my representing you in this matter. I hope that this was helpful
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
Only if there is a warrant for your arrest.
Have you been formally charged? If you have, there is a warrant out for your arrest. If there is a warrant, either you voluntarily turn yourself in or they will find you and arrest you. Even though it is early on in the process, you should consult with a competent criminal defense attorney who can help you through this process.
Yes, you need a lawyer who is experienced with these cases. Then you will get a Court date, etc. The most important thing is to keep it off your permanent criminal record.
    I'm a little confused by your question. Do you mean that you committed retail fraud and they didn't catch you at the time and because of a guilty conscience you felt compelled to turn yourself in three weeks later? Or do you mean the officer told you to wait three weeks and then turn yourself in? If you have a warrant for your arrest you should turn yourself in before you get pulled over and picked up. You should get it taken care of as soon as possible.