Am I obligated to serve someone with papers? 3 Answers as of June 21, 2011

I was served with a ticket for my friend's roommate while standing outside their apartment the other day. I told the guy that I did not live there, and was on my way home. He took down my name, handed me the paper, and he told me I had to serve my friend's with it. Am I really obligated to serve my friend's roommate who I barely know with a ticket? I don’t want to get him in trouble, and do the servers job for free, but at the same time I do not want to get myself in trouble.

No, you are not obligated to serve your friend's roommate. However, you had best let that roommate know what happened, because the server may claim in a Proof of Service he/she made a valid substitute service upon the roommate by serving you, even though you didn't live there. Your testimony may be needed to support a Motion to Quash Service filed by or on behalf of the roomate, for you to testify that you didn't live there.
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
You have no legal obligation to serve the roommate with anything. However, the process server will fill out paperwork claiming that the person was "legally served" by "substituted service of process" and if the other person doesn't come to court, the court may take action against them for their non-appearance. If you have additional questions you can contact us through our website.
You are not obligated to serve anyone. Give the papers to your friend's roommate and let him deal with it.